Friday, August 2, 2013

GIMPY RECIPE: Sweet Potato & Zucchini Cakes, Gluten Free


GF Sweet Potato & 
Zucchini Cakes with Cucumber Sauce


Please check out tips and prep made a little easier for cooking while gimpy HERE.

Difficulty rating: Kinda hard





Worth Trying? YES. Very yummy.
Did my family ingest it? YES. Even the 2 year old!
Gimpy Prep Time: 1 hour

These are my new fav's. I am so proud of how they turned out -  they are my first blog post recipe ever! *the crowd goes wild*

They were originally made with zucchini and carrots - and no carrots for me if I like that whole breathing thing, so I decided to try them with sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes are damn fine food to eat in my opinion. This recipe also called for flour, which I sub'd with brown rice flour, and I made up my own cucumber sauce to go with it. Here goes:

Cucumber Sauce Ingredients/Recipe:
  • half - 3/4 a cucumber, peeled, chuncked
  • 1-2 cups sour cream
  • handful of chives or green onions
  • some garlic (I LOVE garlic, so I go overboard, but a clove should do it)
  • salt and pepper to taste (aka toss that junk in there at will)
Use a chopper or small food processor to mix everything. That's it. Tastes better cold.

This chopper ROCKS MY WORLD. Load, push, and then.....






It has a lid! Take out the blade, place directly in fridge. SCORE!


Sweet Potato & Zucchini Cakes:
You will need:
  • 1 large sweet potato, peeled
  • 2 zucchini, peeled
  • Some salt
  • 1/4 c. brown rice flour
  •  2 egg whites
  • Sugar (optional), original recipe called for 1 1/2 tbsp. I just used a pinch
  • Olive oil for cooking
1. Grab a grater and a colander. Slice your zucchini and sweet potato (both already peeled) into the colander. Stick a paper towel under it, trust me. Toss the salt in and mix them around, this will pull the moisture out.
2. Let sit for 20 or so minutes and recover from all that damn grating. It's exhausting!
3. Grab another bowl, and take handfuls of the veggies, sqeeze the moisture out, and trasfer to new bowl.
4. Mix in brown rice flower. You may need to add more depending on the size of your veggies - use enough to coat them fairly well.
5. The original recipe called for fancy egg white beating technique, but you do not need to do this. I took the egg whites, and whisked those suckers for a few minutes. If that. Just whisk until you are tired.
6. Add in the egg whites, sugar, and mix everything up.
7. Pour enough olive oil into a pan to coat the bottom half of the cakes, about 1-1 1/2 inches. Use med heat, adjust if things start getting crazy and splattering.

Sccop and flatten in pan. Use a splatter guard!

8. Take a heaping spoonful of the mixture and place in warmed up oil. Flatten with your spoon into a "cake" and let cook on one side until browning on the edges. Then flip. I did 4 at a time, and each batch took a few minutes.
Kick back, splatter guard on, and wait for the yum.

9. Place on to a cookie sheet with a paper towel and salt them (and pepper if you like pepper. I hate pepper! No reason. Just hate it).

You know you like looking at my oil stained paper towels!

10. Serve while nice and hot and crunchy with a side of cold cucumber sauce. See fancy attempt at a picture on the top of this post. SO YUMMY.

We make these in large batches now and save them - they freeze well and last and stay cripsy for a few days. My kids even eat them! Whoooo hooooo!

***To reheat - use a toaster oven or the oven to prevent mushiness 

ENJOY!
-Claire

No comments:

Studio Create! Opening soon!

I am SO excited to announce that after almost a years worth of planning,  we are launching Studio Create! We found a location, secured the i...