You can make this set, both the bib and hat, with under one skein of worsted weight yarn easily (and the mittens!).
This pattern is for a Newborn-3 month hat, with finished measurements based on THIS chart, which I use as my hat measurement go-to resource from Slugs on the Refrigerator, which is a great site if you have not checked it out.
This is a really easy, kind of "standard" increasing hat pattern using double crochet's. If you find any issues please let me know!
- Color A: Bernat "Luxury Ombre" yarn, WW (very little needed, 1/4 skein)
- Color B: Red Heart Lavender for color B (even less needed!)
- 5.5 mm hook
- Optional: stitch marker
- This hat is worked in continuous rounds
- ss = slip stitch, hdc = half double crochet, dc = double crochet, dctog2 = double crochet together two
- Color A: Magic Ring, then ch 3, 9 dc's into ring (10 dc total), use stitch marker if needed, I did not join at the end of each round.
- Round 1: *2 dc, dc* repeat around (do not join!)
- Round 2: *2 dc, dc, dc* repeat around
- Round 3: *2 dc, dc, dc, dc* repeat around
- Round 4: *2 dc. dc. dc. dc. dc* repeat around (still, no joining!)
- Round 5: dc around
- Round 6: dc around
- Round 7: decrease round - you need to decrease by 5 dc's this round. You may either dctog2 five times, or skip a stitch 5 times (I know, not conventional - but it works!). ss to JOIN (finally!)
- Round 8: Switch to B, hdc around, ss to join
- Round 9: dc in back loops only, ss to join
- Weave in all ends
- Magic Ring, ch 2, hdc 5 times into ring (6 total), ss to join
- Row 1: Ch 2, 2 hdc into each st (12 total)
- Row 2: Ch 3 - 4 dc in same st, *sc in next, ch 2 - 4 dc in same*, repeat ariund for 6 petals of 5 dc's each
- Sew onto brim of hat, weave in ends.
That's it! What a fun gift to give. Baby hats are fun, easy, take very little yarn, and fast. Please consider making an extra for The Yarnheads Project to donate to one of the charities we support!
***Feel free to use your work from my free patterns for whatever purpose you like of course (you legally can sell your work from ANY pattern in the US according to copyright law, you just can't take someone's pattern and claim it as your own), but please link back to my post (not when selling, just re-posting). Please do not copy and post this pattern and claim it as your own. You may share photos that include the Horizontal Designs text only.