Here is the free pattern for the bib that is part of the Newborn Gift Set!
I probably should not have titled this "Bohemian" - because you can use any color yarn to change the style. But - with the color changing yarn I used, it looks quite Bohemian to me. A cute flower hides the slightly adjustable button so this bib can grow with baby.
- 5.5 mm hook
- I used Bernat "Luxury Ombre" yarn, Worsted Weight As main color A (you need under half a skein)
- I used Red Heart Lavender for color B (very little needed)
- A large button
- A needle to sew pieces together
Bib Pattern (Color A):
- Chain 30
- Dc into 2nd st (counts as 1st dc), then continue across, ch 2
- Repeat for a total of 15 rows
- Row 16: Ch 1, hdc in next 5 st, (total 6 hdc), dc in next 6 st, tc in next 5 st, dc in next 6 st, hdc remaining 5 st, ch 1
- (Starting Bib Strap) Row 17: hdc next 7 st, ch 1, turn
- Repeat for next 3 rows (total of 4 rows of 7 hdc's), then ch 2
- Row 21: this row, and the remainder of the bib strap, will be in dc's - decrease (either dctog or just skip a stitch in the middle of the row) by 1 stitch, total of 6 dc, turn, ch 2
- Repeat for 2 more rows (3 rows of 6 dc's), ch 2
- Row 24: decrease by 1 (either dctog or just skip a stitch in the middle of the row), total of 5 dc
- Row 25: decrease by 1 (either dctog or just skip a stitch in the middle of the row), total of 4 dc
- Rows 26 - 32: 4 dc, ch 2, turn. Fasten off and weave in ends at the end of row 32, or desired length.
- Attach a large button (mine is light blue acrylic) to the underside of the Bib Strap. This mean if you laid out the bib flat, the button would be sewn onto the bottom side of the strap.
Flower Applique (color B):
- Magic ring, ch 1
- Round 1: 6 hdc into ring, ss to join
- Round 2: Ch 3, 4 more dc's into same st (5 total dc's in st), *sc into next st - ch 2 - 4 more dc's into same st (5 total dc's in same st)*
- Repeat * around for a total of 6 petals
- Attach to the end of the Bib Strap, opposite the button. This is the smaller of the two flowers that will hide the button.
Second Flower applique (color B)
- Magic ring, ch1
- Round 1: 6 hdc into ring, ss to join, ch 2
- Round 2: 2 dc's in each st (total of 12 dc's)
- Round 3: *Ch 6, skip a st, then ss into next st* and repeat around for a total of 6 loops/petals
- Then - ss into the first loop (ch 6 petal), *2 hdc, 3 dc, 2 hdc, then ss directly into the next loop (ch 6/petal)* and continue around, fastening off with your final ss.
- Attach this flower to the upper right corner of the bib. You will find that you can fit the large button into the spaces between the main middle portion of the flower, and the outer petals.
I will have tutorials on the flowers up soon!
- As you may have noticed, I chain less between rounds/rows than is traditional. I have found that this creates a tighter look on the ends. For example - after every hdc row, I chain 1 instead of 2. Do whichever you are most comfortable with, the pattern will not change much by doing this.
- You could make this for a boy by doing a star applique, or another boy themed design, and use a smaller button, which should attach through the bib stitches easily.
- ss = slip stitch
- sc = single crochet
- hdc = half double crochet
- dc = double crochet
- tc = triple crochet
- ch = chain
- st = stitch
|You can see this on Etsy HERE.|
Thanks! Have a great day!