These bright fun colors in this cowl and funky zig-zag pattern are easy and can be customized to fit your needs. I added an adjustable flower with a hidden button so you can change the style up as needed. It has a wide neck and sits off the shoulder, perfect for the cool nights in spring/summer.
Find the finished item in our Etsy shop HERE.
- I used Lion Homespun Yarn, but you could use anything Worsted Weight or chunkier
- Color A is City Green, Color B is French Berry.
- You'll need a 9mm hook for this yarn (for thinner yarn, you may want a smaller hook, probably a 6.5mm, to maintain the tighter look of the zig zag), and a large needle to sew in ends.
- This pattern switches colors every row. You can either weavein as you go, or carry them. There is edging that will hide either.
- st = stitch
- sk = skip
- ch = chain
- hdc = half double crochet
- dc = double crochet
- Using Color A: Ch 27
- Row 1: Dc - ch 2 - dc into 6th st from hook, sk 2, *dc - ch 2 - dc, sk 2* across, then dc in last ch
- Row 2: Change to Color B: ch 3, *dc - ch 2 -dc into each ch 2 space* across
- Row 3: Change to Color A, repeat Row 2
- Row 4- ? (I did 30) repeat, alternating colors in each row, beginning each with a ch 3
- You can make this shorter or longer depending on your size and style. Once you reach the desired length, sew the cowl ends together to form a continuous ring. Sew/weave in all ends.
- Edging: I used Color B to edge the cowl and give it a nice finished look, I hdc'd all the way around, using 3 hcd's per space, weaving in ends.
Flower Adjustment Piece:
- Using Color A, create a spiral coiled flower, I used this pattern/video tutorial as my base (I love the series of tutorials she does, very easy to understand!). I then sewed in matching beads in the center of the flower.
- Next, Using Color B, ch 6
- Dc in 2nd ch from hook, then dc across (5 total), ch 2, turn
- Dc in 2nd st, and across, repeat for 15 rows, always ch 2 and turn at the end of each row
- Sew one end of the rectangular piece to the underside of the flower
- Underneath the flower, sew a large button. You can then loop this piece and button it through the other end, bunching it as you like, and adjusting as needed.
- Enjoy! Cheers!